RE: UnxUtils, Unix tools on Win32

From: Leeuwesteijn,Joost
Subject: RE: UnxUtils, Unix tools on Win32
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 14:43:36 +0200

> > What other Unix tools are people using on Win32? What I've found so far:
> > - Cygwin
> > - MinGW
> > - GnuWin32
> I use GnuWin32 builds.  They are native Windows programs and are
> regularly updated whenever a new version is released.

Seems to be more active than UnxUtils at least :-) I did see that packages
have a dependency.zip file, containing some required DLL's. Language and
encoding functionality. Not sure why you'd need that, or if it can be
disabled. Probably not without rebuilding...

> Sometimes the GnuWin32 pre-built binaries have bugs, in which case I
> download the sources, build them myself and debug the problem.  That
> is, if reporting the bug to the GnuWin32 bug-tracker doesn't get
> responded quickly enough.

You're using MSYS + MinGW to compile the GnuWin32 tools? Or CygWin+MinGW? Or
something else?

What are the differences between MSYS and CygWin, apart from the
modifications mentioned earlier? GnuWin32 also mentions the combination
CygWin and MinGW, but I don't know why you'd want that.

> > The UnxUtils shell seems to behave a little strange as well; it produces
> > weird characters and beeps (terminal issues in combi with cmd.exe?).
What
> > shells are other people using? Cmd.exe is getting better I must say, but
> > bash.exe would be nice :-)
> Unfortunately, there's no native Windows port of Bash yet.  I'm using
> zsh ported several years ago, it is good enough for running
> Makefile's.

UnxUtils uses an old zsh, not sure if it's the same one; it produces strange
output on my system...

In the end, it's just plain awful...all the tricks and hacks just to get a
working system on Win32 ;-) Slash backslash, quote double quote, C:, cmd
bash, colon semi colon...it's giving me the creeps :-)

--
Joost Leeuwesteijn