Re: Make CVS (Win32) improperly leaves batch files with -n

From: J. David Bryan
Subject: Re: Make CVS (Win32) improperly leaves batch files with -n
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:09:05 -0500

On 17 Feb 2006 at 21:50, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> But you see, Make's code doesn't know about special quoting rules of
> CMD, it _does_ think that an embedded quote needs to be escaped.  And
> that's what I was trying to explain: doing this without batch files
> brings additional complications in the code that generates the command
> line to be passed to the programs invoked by Make.

Eli, I thank you for your patient explanations.  I must be unusually dense
this week, because I'm just not seeing your point.  Embedded quotes aren't
escaped in batch files, and I'm proposing to pass as the argument to cmd
what would have been put in the batch file.  As far as I can see, albeit
from limited testing, cmd accepts the same forms for strings in batch files
and strings passed as arguments.

Hopefully, this will become clearer to me as I step through the code in the
debugger.

> Just be sure to test all the special constructs, like redirection and
> pipes, wildcards, () grouping, ^ escapes, etc.  Also, make sure you
> test with external programs as part of the command line, not only cmd
> internal commands, because the startup code of the Microsoft runtime
> has its own ideas about quoting.

You're advising me to test carefully.  :-)  Will do!

                                      -- Dave