Re: MSVC build test results

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MSVC build test results
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:57:45 +0300

> Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 14:34:56 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: "Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden>
>
>   >> These are all caused by a difference of opinion on the current working
>   >> directory by pwd vs. GNU make.  Make, with WINDOWS32 set, uses
>   >> getcwd_fs() to determine the working directory and returns values like
>   >> "/home/now3d/make/tests".
>   >>
>   >> There is no portable "getwd" function in Perl, so our test suite uses
>   >> `pwd` to figure the working directory.  That appears to return values
>   >> like "C:/msys/1.0/home/now3d/make/tests".
>
>   ez> How about if you chdir into the directory and see what getwd returns?
>
> But we can't; as I said, there's no getwd() or getcwd() function in
> Perl.  I said "portable" because there is a POSIX::getcwd() at least on
> UNIX systems.  I have no idea whether that exists (or what it does) in
> Windows Perl.

I think POSIX::getcwd should exist on Windows, but I cannot test where
I'm typing this.  Can you post a short script to test that?

> No, it's trying to test that backslash handling works properly in
> strings that are eval'd... maybe we could quote it so the backslash
> actually was preserved instead of removed by the shell.  That might be a
> better test anyway since the current test can't determine between
> make incorrectly removing the backslash and the shell correctly removing
> it.

If you propose a simple Makefile to test this, I can run it on Windows
and tell you whether it works as you'd expect.

>   jg> options/dash-l .................... FAILED (0/1 passed)
>
>   >> Hm.  This one is because -l isn't supported on Windows, I'm sure.
>
>   ez> Yes.
>
> But, my question still remains: why doesn't it print the error.  It
> would be nice if someone invoked "make -l 1.0" or something on a Windows
> system and told me what it printed.

It says:
  gnumake: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

In other words, the message isn't printed.

Can you tell me why you think the message about load limits should be
printed on Windows?  All I see in the source is that it sets things up
as if there were zero load.