Re: SHELL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: SHELL
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 00:21:36 +0300

> Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 21:37:37 +0200
> From: Ashley Holland <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> My installation of Mingw did not have a sh.exe and the echo command
> was working.

That's because, if no sh.exe is found on your PATH, Make uses the
default shell (cmd.exe), and in that case "echo" _is_ recognized as a
built-in command, as you can see from the value of sh_cmds_dos[] as
shown in the fragment I posted in my previous mail.

> I have now installed mySys and changed all my \  to / and all seems to
> work now using the sh.exe from mySys. Is this a good solution?

IMHO, it's a work-around: the MSYS installation probably added
echo.exe to one of the directories on your PATH, that's why it works
now (see my earlier explanation).

As for changing \ to /, I don't see how is this relevant: your
original report didn't have any \ characters in the Makefile, as far
as I could see.