Re: MS compiler 7.1 (Visual Studio .NET 7.1 and DDK 2003) issues withmak

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS compiler 7.1 (Visual Studio .NET 7.1 and DDK 2003) issues withmake 3.80
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:49:55 +0300

> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jerker_B=E4ck?= <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 04:01:09 +0200
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Note, all I did with my build was to ensure the right headers was included
> and disable any redefined prototype. See this:
> extern void* malloc(size_t); is not the same as
> _CRTIMP void* __cdecl malloc(size_t);

If STDC_HEADERS is defined in your build, the compiler should not have
seen the prototype of malloc in any of the Make sources.  So please
describe the details of this problem: how come the compiler didn't use
the STDC_HEADERS branch?

> I understand. The lack of a common platform is the real problem. In Windows,
> the de facto standard is the Microsoft compiler.

That may be so, but the GNU project (of which Make is an important
part) cannot be blamed for preferring the GNU C compiler, which is
Free Software and is available on Windows as well.

That said, if support for MSVC is added in a clean manner, I'm sure
Paul will gladly accept the patches for  such a support.