Re: PATH vs. Path (was: Re: Savannah W32 patches... are any OK?

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: PATH vs. Path (was: Re: Savannah W32 patches... are any OK?
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:23:06 -0500

%% "John Calcote" <address@hidden> writes:

  jc> I submitted a patch to the win32 make project a couple of years
  jc> ago on this one and never got a single response regarding this
  jc> patch.

You're reading the response :-).  This entire thread came about because
I sent a request for people to review a few Windows-only patches,
including yours.

  jc> If you simply up-case all variable names just before exporting to
  jc> the environment, and up-case all environment variables as you
  jc> import them into the variable database (on win32 only of course),
  jc> then _all_ your problems just disappear. You see, the trouble is
  jc> that everyone expects these variables to be case insensitive on
  jc> win32 platforms, anyway.

  jc> If you simply state that all variables in the environment come in
  jc> as upper case, and are exported as upper case, then all problems
  jc> with tools using these variables in both environments just
  jc> disappear.

The problem is there doesn't seem to be a consensus on this, at least
not yet.  I need a consensus among "the usual suspects" (plus a patch)
before I can make this kind of change to the Windows port: since I don't
use Windows myself I need to rely on those who do to make the decisions
regarding Windows-only functionality like this.