Re: make 3.81 MinGW port and testsuite working with MSYS

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: make 3.81 MinGW port and testsuite working with MSYS
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:04:32 -0500

%% "Eli Zaretskii" <address@hidden> writes:

  ez> Thanks.  I have a few comments:

I'm interested in answers to Eli's questions but just a note or two; I
didn't actually apply the exact patches that Jonathan sent.

Unless there is a reason it can't be done, I would like to see all the
different handling of Windows/DOS/OS2/MINGW/etc. consolidated as much as
possible.  It seems to me that in this particular case they should all
be doing basically the same thing, and it should be wrapped in the
HAVE_DOS_FILENAMES or whatever... no?

  ez> Anyway, the patch is not very reliable in what it tries to do: it
  ez> doesn't handle the "d:make.exe" case,

I fixed this before applying the patch; it will not die in this
case (although it doesn't strip the "d:" prefix, it won't dereference a
null pointer and will strip the .exe).

  ez> and it will fail if it gets something like "C:\foo\bar\MAKE.EXE"
  ez> (i.e., if ".EXE" is in upper case).

I thought about that, too, but left it as-is.

I guess I was assuming that ARGV[0] would be provided by the OS in some
sanitized format where some of these checks were not necessary.  If
that's not so we definitely should m

  >> -  print "Comparing Output ........ " if $debug;
  >> +  print "Comparing Output ........\n" if $debug;
  >> +  print "logfile: $logfile\n" if $debug;
  >> +
  >> +  # All reference output is LF format, so convert CRLF to LF if we are
testing W32
  >> +  if ($osname =~ /MINGW32/i)
  >> +  {
  >> +     print "mingw matched, will run dos2unix on output log\n" if($debug);
  >> +     run_command("dos2unix $logfile");
  >> +  }

  ez> This assumes the availability of the dos2unix program, which is
  ez> not part of the standard Windows tools.  If running dos2unix is
  ez> the only way to solve this problem, the requirement to have
  ez> dos2unix installed should be mentioned in README.W32, at the very
  ez> least.

I didn't add this patch anyway; there's no reason to require an extra
application like that when Perl can quite trivially make this change
itself.

I still think the right way to manage this is by translating the output
to remove the extra characters.