make -j problem on win32

From: David Rennalls
Subject: make -j problem on win32
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 00:39:54 -0500

Hi,
    I'm having some trouble with a native win32 build (not cygwin) of
GNU make 3.80. I get the following warning when attempting to do a
build, indicating that jobs won't be done in parallel..

c:\component\debug>gnumake -j8 CC="distcc ccppc" -f ../Makefile MY_RULE
[flags1: --jobserver-fds=3,4 -j -- CC=distcc ccppc]
gnumake.exe -f ../Makefile Component_link.o
gnumake.exe[1]: Entering directory `c:\component\debug'
gnumake.exe[1]: warning: jobserver unavailable: using -j1.  Add `+' to
parent make rule.
[flags2: w -- CC=distcc ccppc]
distcc ccppc -g etc..

The "flags: ..." output is from echoing $(MAKEFLAGS). An old thread
found on gnu.g++.help mentions that two common causes for this are..
1) using make directly instead of $(MAKE) or
2) you need a `+' at the start of the rule.
I don't think I'm running into either of these cases, the rules
involved are as follows (not the exact ones but what they boil down
to)..

MY_RULE:
        @$(ECHO) [flags1: $(MAKEFLAGS)]
        $(MAKE) -f ../Makefile $(COMPONENT_LINK)

COMPONENT_LINK: obj1.o

obj1.o:
        @$(ECHO) [flags2: $(MAKEFLAGS)]
        $(CC) -g etc..

If I use the same makefile (with paths/filenames modified) with the
cygwin version of GNU make 3.80 things seem to work as expected and
there's no complaint about the jobserver.

Is this is a bug in the native win32 version ?