Re: Insensitive wildcard matching

From: Alessandro Vesely
Subject: Re: Insensitive wildcard matching
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:08:11 +0200

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> Alessandro Vesely wrote:
> [...]
> >The patch also contains a couple of `i' inserted into `streq' so as to allow
> >executing uppercase internal commands such as ECHO. Perhaps that may break
> >unixy
> >shells that don't tolerate capital executions...
>
> I don't agree with the uppercase commands!  Please don't allow this as
> it is non-conformant and windows OS is non-conformant enough.

Perhaps I should recall that  strieq is only different from streq if one
has defined HAVE_CASE_INSENSITIVE_FS. The latter is not set by default in
the distributed config.h.w32. However, in win32 the `gmake' and the `GMAKE'
commands obviously refer to the same executable...

IMHO the question is not much what windows OS would be [non-]conformant to,
but rather if it is misleading or not to allow `echo' to be resolved as
an internal shell command, but then keep the possibility to issue an `ECHO'
command that will instead resolve to a non-shell `echo.exe', if one can be
found on the current PATH.