Re: Newbie problems?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Newbie problems?
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 22:03:01 +0200

> From: "Andy Voelkel" <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 23:33:00 -0800
>
> >From what I've been able to gather (from the readme and from another
> knowledgable friend), the problem is most likely the method that GNU
> make uses to fire up a shell and execute its commands.

Please explain: what is so special about the way GNU Make invokes
subsidiary programs, and why you think it causes the problem here.

> Someone suggested this is because GNU make tries to use
> a CreateProcess() instead of a System() call.

What's wrong with CreateProcess?  If the rule's commands don't involve
any features specific to a shell, like wildcards and redirection, why
do we need to use System?

> I wish I could figure a way to control how shells and commands are
> invoked without messing with make's source code or such mucking around.
> Any pointers to any tips on this?

If you want to force Make to invoke subprograms via the shell, make
sure the rule's commands use some shell features (see above).