Help required in gnumake

From: beginner beginner
Subject: Help required in gnumake
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 03:04:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,
      I have to write gnu Make file for one of my project I have just started
looking into gnu website how gnu make works and need your help in few queries

1) I am including a common makefile in my makefile Common makefile also I am
writing for all project files which will have all global variabes and when I am
writing any @echo statement to check for any condition in my common makefile It
is giving me error that missing seprator. stop.
and my gmake exits but If I remove all echoes It is working properly
Please suggest If I am doing anything wrong

Thanks,
Amit.