Re: Make error code list

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Make error code list
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 08:14:15 +0200 (IST)

On Thu, 6 Feb 2003, Jim Julian wrote:

> When an error causes make to stop, there is no table of code numbers
> and explanations available to help determine the problem.

Sorry, I don't understand: what code numbers?  GNU Make prints a plain
text message in English (or in another language, if it was built with NLS
and you have the message catalogs installed).  It does not report any
code numbers for errors, IIRC.

So please show us the exact text of the error message(s) that confused
you.  Thanks.

> I went through the
> make.info files and found reference to only "common errors".

AFAIK, the Make manual describes most of the error messages, at least in
the latest versions.  What version of Make do you have?  What does Make
say if you invoke it with "make --version"?

>      While I'm writing, is there a simple way to create a log file? DOS pipes
> don't work with gcc and Delorie's REDIR  has little documentation and
> is to hard to figure out.

DOS pipes do work, but GCC prints its error messages to the stderr
stream, and some Windows shells won't let you redirect stderr.  If you
can use cmd.exe as your shell (default on NT, W2K and XP), you can
redirect stderr.

To do that with `redir', use the "-e file" command-line option; it
redirects stderr to the named file.