Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make

From: Paul D. Smith
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 13:27:21 -0400

%% Soren A <address@hidden> writes:

  sa> Oh, and as you noted, GNU 'make' is not the only 'make' that
  sa> understands VPATH.

Correct, although in most other versions of make VPATH is not that
useful.  Consider: VPATH only modified automatic variables.  But in most
makes (as you pointed out earlier) most of the automatic variables, like
$< etc., are not defined in explicit rules.

So.... you can't use VPATH in conjunction with explicit rules!  How
bogus is that?

Anyway, that particular problem doesn't exist with automake generated
files since they don't use non-portable syntax like $< in explicit rules
anyway.  But, there are still other issues.

Nevertheless, it might work with some other SysV makes... sometimes...