Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: [Mingw-msys] RE: Differences between mingw-make and msys' make
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 08:17:07 -0400

Soren A wrote:

> Earnie Boyd <address@hidden> wrote around 24 Sep 2002
>
> > So, the real problem for this is Soren, or something else?
>
> In a bad mood tonight, Earnie?

No, I was asking for clarification of
> > As per above, this was a major issue (because I decided to make it one
> > ;-).
I don't know how to comprehend the statement to it's intent.

> This, what I have been posting, is very useful information for somebody
> who is actually trying to collboratively work on porting issues with GNU
> make. It's the guts, the details, the substance. If you are tired or not
> interested right now, you really don't have to answer.

I didn't mean to offend you, and yes I find your posts most informative
with some touches of humor.

> But whatever you do, PLEASE do not turn into cgf and start senselessly,
> thoughtlessly, carelessly discouraging people are just doing exactly
> what "hard volunteer work" means. If you don't like something about the
> style, that's fine but that's just you.

Ouch.

> John Cronin posted detailed patches and reports about how far he had
> gotten. I spent 10+ hours re-creating his setup painstakingly and then
> began testing. I ran into problems right away. I believe this process is
> called "beta testing" and "debugging." Where I am at right now is that I
> have got John's changes "hardened" (robustified), based on that real
> work and not on dogma or commmentary offered while sitting far overhead
> with a pair of binoculars and a cocktail in the other hand while I am
> really only mostly watching a ballgame on TV.

And it was I who called for the work to be done.  And, I'm grateful for
everyone's efforts to achieve what I asked for.

> I know my articles are weird to look at because as far as I can tell,
> this nearly never happens with MinGW or Cygwin or anywhere else. Face
> it. The hackers who comprise Us are largely a lot of wanna-be alpha dogs
> who, once we smell that another dog has pissed extensively over some
> turf, lose interest (because we want to stake out fresh ground of our
> own). I for one know that this is a rather counter-productive (if not
> outright stupid) aspect of human nature that gets in the way of getting
> the highest-quality results.

<snip> One thing you do well is verbosity. ;)

As, I said above, I was aiming for clarification.  I was trying to
clarify in order to be productive.  Sorry you were offended.

Earnie.