Re: pipe read hang on Win 2000

From: Greg Chicares
Subject: Re: pipe read hang on Win 2000
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:29:32 -0500

"J.B." wrote:

> Here's a problem I've encountered recently ...
>
> Using the Win32 port of GNU make 3.79.1 on Windows 2000 with either the
> Cygwin shell, or the MKS sh.exe, or even the Windows cmd.exe I get a
> hang when running the following makefile:
[snip makefile]
> The hang appears to be on a pipe read.  Due to my lack of Win32
> experience, that's all I can tell.  In addition, this makefile must be
> in a recursive make, nested about 5 or 6 directories deep

I'm still using win95, but let me try a shot in the dark:

  http://clio.rice.edu/djgpp/win2k/win2000_patches/DJGPP_W2K.htm
  Problem: Nested programs (e.g. make/gcc/cc1) cause NTVDM.exe to crash
    or silently exit without finishing.
  Workaround: Patch NTVDM.EXE [link to patch]

A friend reported win2k problems that sound similar to yours, and
he says this patch seems to fix them.