make-alpha

Re: Quoting special characters (was: Re: Possible solution for special c

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Quoting special characters (was: Re: Possible solution for special characters in makefile paths)
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 23:03:44 +0200

> Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 20:27:18 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> From: Frank Heckenbach <address@hidden>
>
> DIRS = c:\foo\ c:\bar\
>
> foo: $(DIRS); @dir $(DIRS) > $@
>
> Currently, this probably works as intended. With our proposed
> change, the command-line would remain the same, but the dependency
> would now be on a single directory with the (probably invalid) name
> "c:\foo\ c:\bar\". So here we have a backward-incompatibility.
> Question, is this relevant? Do people often use lists of (files and)
> directories, with trailing backslashes? I think/hope not.

It might matter, but I suggest to leave these issues for later.  We
can always throw in some Windows-specific heuristics (e.g., it is much
more probable in this case that the trailing backslashes were not
meant to escape the blanks).  The important part, IMO, is to design
the Posix behavior, and then adapt the Windows one to that as a
separate effort.