make-alpha

Re: Possible solution for special characters in makefile paths

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Possible solution for special characters in makefile paths
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2014 10:26:23 +0200

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 21:32:32 -0500
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Thanks for your thoughts Frank!

Yes, thanks.

But what about the alternatives, like quoting of some kind?  One
possibility is to use ".." to quote file names with whitespace;
another is to escape whitespace with a backslash, like we already do
for a colon.

Given that recoding whitespace is not a straightforward solution, and
possibly brings complications, I'd suggest to talk about those
alternatives as well.  Perhaps their complications are easier handled,
and they are definitely more natural in use.