make-alpha

Re: Guile support in GNU make

From: Kirill Smelkov
Subject: Re: Guile support in GNU make
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 22:28:30 +0400

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 03:13:36PM -0500, Paul Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 18:16 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
> > Over the last weekend I've been playing with adding (optional of
> > course) support for Guile as an embedded scripting language into GNU
> > make.
>
> Hi all.  I'm ready to commit the Guile embedded scripting support.
>
> Boris, I understand and agree with your points about providing a
> loadable module feature, and I actually have partial code available now
> to do that.  I'll send a note about that today or tomorrow.
>
> However, I've decided Guile is going to be provided specifically
> (although optionally) in addition to any generic loadable module
> interface.
>
> I've attached the section of the manual describing the new function and
> the default Guile implementation that's embedded into GNU make when
> Guile is compiled in.  I'll commit these changes later today if you want
> to see the source code.
>
> Any comments on this implementation are welcome.

First of all, bug thanks for integrating guile support in.

Then a bug report: running make check on taday's make from CVS and with
guile-2.0 from Debian gives this:

*** work/functions/guile.base   Sun Jan 22 22:21:18 2012
--- work/functions/guile.log    Sun Jan 22 22:21:18 2012
***************
*** 6,8 ****
--- 6,13 ----
  bar
  a b
  a b c d 1 2 3
+
+ Some deprecated features have been used.  Set the environment
+ variable GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "detailed" and rerun the
+ program to get more information.  Set it to "no" to suppress
+ this message.

I've tried to set that GUILE_WARN_DEPRECATED to "no", but the warning
persists to stay. Perhaps it would be a good idea not to use deprecated
features anyway...

Thanks,
Kirill