make-alpha

Re: Guile support in GNU make

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Guile support in GNU make
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 22:49:54 +0200

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 15:37:47 -0500
>
> > How will this work at build time?  IOW, what are build-time
> > requirements for having Guile support in the built binary?
>
> On systems where you run configure, configure should detect Guile and
> build with it if it's available.  The typical "--with-guile",
> "--without-guile" flags are provided.

What does the configure script probe to detect the availability of
Guile?

I need to know that to investigate the equivalent requirements for
MS-Windows.

> On all other systems Guile is currently disabled (I've added the undef
> of HAVE_GUILE to the various pre-built config.h versions).
>
> I'm not really sure how to get it enabled on other systems, short of
> editing those config.h files by hand and adding -lguile to the link
> line.

AFAIU, that assumes a static link against the Guile library.  There's
also a possibility of loading it dynamically at run time, if it is
available.  It may even be better, since end users don't need to
install Guile if they don't use the related features.

Once I understand the configure- and build-time requirements, I can
make up my mind about the best kind of run-time support.

Thanks.