make-alpha

3.83 testing

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: 3.83 testing
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 09:40:59 +0200

Hi,

I switched to make from cvs on my dev box and did some preliminary
testing. Here are my findings so far:

1. Change of behavior compared to 3.82 and earlier:

This makefile:

all: v := foo bar \
baz

all:; @echo "[$v]"

With 3.83 prints:

[foo bar  baz]

And with 3.82:

[foo bar baz]

I.e., there is now an extra space introduced by the new line escaping.

2. I can fairly consistently get these messages on our build system:

make: INTERNAL: Exiting with 3 jobserver tokens (should be 0)!
make: INTERNAL: Exiting with 14 jobserver tokens available; should be 16!

Though I could not reproduce it using a small test. If you need more
information/output to track this down, let me know.

3. I observe about 5% speedup of the up-to-date check compared to 3.82
on our build system.

Boris

--
Boris Kolpackov, Code Synthesis     http://codesynthesis.com/~boris/blog