make-alpha

Re: Make-alpha Digest, Vol 47, Issue 1

From: Bill Cox
Subject: Re: Make-alpha Digest, Vol 47, Issue 1
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:47:35 -0800

The  simplest condition that I can think of would be to say 'on
command error', which would trigger make to save its state when a
command error occurs, and it would start to log *everything* as if
the various silent options were all false.  An alternative condition
might be 'on make error', and so on.

I too have used make on large Makefile trees, and I once submitted
a patch which would negate all of the silencing options.  One version
had a new option called '--always-print-commands' to activate it.  If
this seems useful to the list, I could dust off the patch and resubmit.

So here's my related question: "Is it useful to suppress all silencing
options, and if so, how should it be invoked?".  I'd love to get this
functionality into the product, and it's not that complex.

Bill