Is it possible to expand macro just once?

From: Wolf
Subject: Is it possible to expand macro just once?
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 12:27:55 +0200

Hello,

Not subscribed to the list, so please CC.

I have m4 template that contains macro, that I do not know the value of
(provided by user). That can lead to user setting the macro to name of
another macro, like:

        $ echo foo | m4 -Dfoo=bar -Dbar=baz
        baz

Now, I understand why it happens and that it is expected. However, due
to reason stated above, I need the macro to expand just once, so that
the snippet above would produce `bar`. Is there a way to do so?

Thank you in advance for any help :)

W.

--
There are only two hard things in Computer Science:
cache invalidation, naming things and off-by-one errors.