Re: [SCM] GNU M4 source repository branch, branch-1.4, updated. v1.4.17-

From: Nathan
Subject: Re: [SCM] GNU M4 source repository branch, branch-1.4, updated. v1.4.17-5-gcf5cbd2
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2014 16:14:39 -0500

While trying not to go off-topic, I just wanted to say I gave feedback via outlook.com's site, though I doubt they'd even consider it, so I also posted to their community forum regarding it so it at least gets public notice.
This whole standards thing reminds me of the problems Internet Explorer would have with going their own way and sites needing to submit.
I actually switched to Chrome and another email provider while still holding on to my hotmail account for spam. I've also been working on building linux-from-scratch, but going the git-way around it (instead of tarballs) and eventually plan on dropping Windows altogether.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 3:35 PM, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
On 04/04/2014 02:22 PM, Nathan wrote:
> Wow, so it is just me, or rather outlook.com.

That's the problem.  outlook.com is one of those sites that doesn't
believe in following open standards, and intentionally disobeys RFCs on
how to send proper mail.

Many technical users prefer native mail clients (such as Thunderbird or
mutt) precisely because these open source mail clients care about
standards and stand a decent chance at being formatted correctly, unlike
web mail providers that provide convenience at the expense of horrible
non-compliance.  (And while we're at it, most technical lists also frown
on top-posting, which is another thing that most web mail sites
unfortunately tend to promote, although that is more a matter of
preference and not a standardized RFC)

> This is clearly a problem. Who should it be directed to?

The problem is on your end, for your choice of mail client.  And since
your choice of mail client isn't free software, good luck in getting it
fixed (it may be a free download, but it does not give you the right to
look at the source code implementing it to fix the non-compliance
issues, so you are at the mercy of the outlook.com owner ever deciding
to become more standards-compliance, which is unlikely).

> I think the conversation should be between the email server maintainers
> (gnu, outlook).

A conversation between server owners won't make a difference.  The
problem is not in GNU's servers.

--
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266