Re: Having Trouble with m4 Input (m4 version 1.4.13)

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Re: Having Trouble with m4 Input (m4 version 1.4.13)
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 07:58:55 -0500

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 07:25, Tom Browder <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 05:49, Tom Browder <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 01:58, Gary V. Vaughan <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Here is an ealy draft for an article I wrote for `Linux User & Developer'

Oops, after looking closer it looks like modifying code for m4-cpp
would be at least partly a one-way street.

As I see it. to get users to go change legacy code in that direction
one would have to

1. provide a filter to change conventional cpp headers into an m4 version

   + would autogen be the best tool for that?

2. make some kind of way for the c/cc files to work with conventional
cpp processing as well as m4-cpp processing

Would this work for 2?

// sample.cc
#if defined(USE_M4CPP)
include(sample.h.m4)
#else
include "sample.h"
#endif

If something like [2] would work then the user wouldn't have to do too
much if [1] were provided by the m4 or gcc project.  And the autotools
could be modified to allow for automatic processing for cpp or m4-cpp
depending on an option or environment variable...

Regards,

-Tom

Thomas M. Browder, Jr.
Niceville, Florida