ifdef usage

From: Mehul Sanghvi
Subject: ifdef usage
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 09:43:07 -0400

Hi,

   In case this is the wrong place for sending this question, please
point me in the correct direction.

   bash% % m4 --version
   m4 (GNU M4) 1.4.11

   bash% cat /etc/debian_version
   squeeze/sid

   testing.m4
   ========
   define('VNC')
   ifdef('VNC', 'vnc is DEFINED', 'vnc is NOT DEFINED')

   bash%  m4 testing.m4

   'vnc is DEFINED'

If I comment out the define(), and then do the following:

   bash% m4 -DVNC testing.m4
   #define('VNC')
   'vnc is NOT DEFINED'

Am I missing something or have I misunderstood what the manual says
about how to use ifdef and -D ?

I use vtwm as my window manager which has support for m4 in it. All I
want to do is include the right config file
based upon whether I define VNC or not.

Again, if this is the wrong place for such types of questions, kindly
point me to the correct place.

cheers,

    mehul

--