Re: silent build rules

From: Ralf Wildenhues
Subject: Re: silent build rules
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 22:25:00 +0200

* Bob Friesenhahn wrote on Wed, Apr 01, 2009 at 09:32:54PM CEST:

> My opinion is that if this mode is optional that it should default to
> "off"

It defaults to off.

It is enabled if the *developer* (Makefile.am author) chooses so.

I take it you suggest that it default to on only if *both* the developer
and the user choose so?  I take it that, if we introduced an
--enable-silent-rules switch to enable silent rules, and the developer
then went ahead and added
  : ${enable_silent_rules=yes}

to the configure.ac file, effectively defaulting to silent rather than
verbose, then you will still ask *Automake* to override this somehow?

Please don't get me wrong, I'm open to having defaults discussed, and
set sensibly, but I will refuse to engage in any kind of arms race.

Cheers,
Ralf