Re: GNU M4 1.4.8b released (beta release)

From: Matthew Woehlke
Subject: Re: GNU M4 1.4.8b released (beta release)
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 10:04:34 -0600

Eric Blake wrote:
According to Matthew Woehlke on 3/8/2007 10:59 AM:
Matthew Woehlke wrote:
Well, it seems to have gotten past lib/ anyway. Will report back with
how the test suite goes...
Ok, 'make check results'... I got this:

Checking ./012.macro_argu
@ ../doc/m4.texinfo:1358: Origin of test
./012.macro_argu: status was 255, expected 1

Does your platform #define EXIT_FAILURE to 255 in <stdlib.h>?

Not 255, but...

/usr/include/stdlib.h:62:#define EXIT_FAILURE    -1

...which has the same effect AFAIK (and certainly looks like the culprit, now that you pointed it out).

If so, what exit status does /bin/false give?

$ /bin/false ; echo $?
1
$ false ; echo $?
1

("false", a.k.a. /usr/local/bin/false, is from coreutils 5.97. I thought I'd mention it also.)

Should gnulib override EXIT_FAILURE to
be 1 for consistency, or honor weird platforms that choose some other
value (as is their right, according to POSIX) in which case I should teach
the M4 testsuite to allow the system's notion of EXIT_FAILURE?  One of the
problems with setting EXIT_FAILURE to 255 is that it interferes with the
POSIX rules for how xargs behaves, if that is an argument for replacing
your unusual value with the more typical 1.

I've no particular opinion. Since 'false' clearly uses '1', I don't see a problem using '1' (AFAIK '1' doesn't mean success like on - IIRC - VMS). Anyway I guess this doesn't need to be fixed immediately. Essentially we've determined that the "failures" are false positives, therefore 'make check' in fact passed. :-)

84-89 were skipped ("no changeword support")

You have to configure with --enable-changeword if you want this feature;
partly because it is obsolete and will not be supported in the eventual M4
2.0.

Ok, I wasn't worried, I just wanted to mention it for completeness' sake. Thanks.

--
Matthew
You are in a meadow. A huge red dragon stands before you.
> FIGHT DRAGON
With what? You don't have any weapons.
> RUN AWAY
You wisely exercise the better part of valor.