Re: [bug-gnulib] VPATH and IRIX make

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [bug-gnulib] VPATH and IRIX make
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:44:28 -0700

address@hidden (Eric Blake) writes:

>> You're attempting a VPATH build with a non-GNU make. This is not supported.
>
> I thought it was not recommended, because of the bugs that other makes
> have with VPATH, but saying that it is not supported when a trivial fix might
> make it work is a bit harsh.

It depends what you mean by "support".  If someone else can come up
with a trivial clean fix and integrate it and test it, that would be OK.
But I doubt whether it's worth the maintainers' time to investigate
the problem.

The VPATH stuff is way too tricky to get "right", for all versions of
Unix.  It's much simpler to tell installers to avoid VPATH unless they
use GNU Make.