m17n-list

Re: m17n-db not working with ibus

From: Richard Wordingham
Subject: Re: m17n-db not working with ibus
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 11:17:20 +0000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2023 12:36:06 +0530
Fahim Khan <fahim.elex@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is to report one issue in Ubuntu 22.04 version. I am not able to
> use the m17n language layout in firefox. However the inbuilt layout
> is working fine.  Please find the steps to replicate it.
>
> I install fresh Ubuntu 22. Then install the m17n-db. To test it I just
> created the html page with textarea. Now I open the file from
> terminal in firefox. Then I change the language and type in textarea
> to test it. The layout of m17n like inscript is not working but
> inbuilt layout like KaGaPa phonetic is working fine.

I've a feeling that support for m17n has been downgraded, so that it
isn't part of the basic installation.

In short, I think you may also need to install package ibus-m17n.

> Please find the version details below.
>
> OS - Ubuntu 22.04
> Ibus -  1.5.26
> m17n-db - 1.8.0

You've half-reported the distribution - I'm not sure what 'fresh Ubuntu
22' means.  I'm currently relying heavily on m17n with ibus as I
mostly use Kesmanee-based layouts for Indic scripts, and mostly
successfully use it, and I have:

OS, from uname -srv: Linux 6.2.0-39-generic #40~22.04.1-Ubuntu SMP
PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Thu Nov 16 10:53:04 UTC 2
(uname -a gives more information.  uname -o calls the operating system
GNY/Linux.)

Distribution (PRETTY_NAME from /etc/os-release): Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS

Ibus (selection from 'dpkg -l 'ibus*'):

ibus: 1.5.26-4 (status ii)
ibus-m17n: 1.4.9-1 (status ii)

m17n (from 'dpkg -l 'm17n'):
m17n-contrib: none (status un)
m17n-db: 1.8.0-3 (status ii)
m17n-doc: none (status un)

ii means successfully installed.
un means 'unknown' and not installed.

> Please let me know if any other details are required.

If installing ibus-m17n doesn't solve the problem, let us know what
ibus packages you have *installed*.  The command dpkg -l 'ibus*' | grep
ii' on my machine yields, modulo white space:

ii ibus            1.5.26-4 amd64 Intelligent Input Bus - core

ii ibus-data       1.5.26-4  all  Intelligent Input Bus - data files

ii ibus-gtk:amd64  1.5.26-4 amd64 Intelligent Input Bus - GTK2 support

ii ibus-gtk3:amd64 1.5.26-4 amd64 Intelligent Input Bus - GTK3 support

ii ibus-gtk4:amd64 1.5.26-4 amd64 Intelligent Input Bus - GTK4 support

ii ibus-m17n       1.4.9-1  amd64 m17n engine for IBus

ii ibus-table      1.16.7-1  all  table engine for IBus

I do suffer one nasty bug.  I have a keyboard carefully crafted to
deliver precomposed characters, but they're being delivered using NFD,
whereas one of its purposes, that use to be satisfied, was to enable me
to grep NFC files.  Instead, I have to use the Emacs quail equivalents
and run in an Emacs shell, rather than simply running in a handier (but
less capable) GNOME terminal.

Richard.