[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[Lzip-bug] Lziprecover 1.18 released
Antonio Diaz Diaz
[Lzip-bug] Lziprecover 1.18 released
Mon, 23 May 2016 11:57:04 +0200
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i586; en-US; rv:184.108.40.206) Gecko/20070601 SeaMonkey/1.1.2
I am pleased to announce the release of lziprecover 1.18.
Lziprecover is a data recovery tool and decompressor for files in the
lzip compressed data format (.lz), able to repair slightly damaged
files, produce a correct file by merging the good parts of two or more
damaged copies, extract data from damaged files, decompress files and
test integrity of files.
Lziprecover is able to recover or decompress files produced by any of
the compressors in the lzip family; lzip, plzip, minilzip/lzlib, clzip
Lziprecover is not a replacement for regular backups, but a last line of
defense for the case where the backups are also damaged.
The lzip file format is designed for data sharing and long-term
archiving, taking into account both data integrity and decoder availability.
A nice feature of the lzip format is that a corrupt byte is easier to
repair the nearer it is from the beginning of the file. Therefore, with
the help of lziprecover, losing an entire archive just because of a
corrupt byte near the beginning is a thing of the past.
The homepage is at http://www.nongnu.org/lzip/lziprecover.html
The sources can be downloaded from
The sha1sums are:
This release is also GPG signed. You can download the signature by
appending ".sig" to the URL.
Changes in version 1.18:
* The option "-a, --trailing-error", which makes lziprecover exit
with error status 2 if any remaining input is detected after
decompressing the last member, has been added.
* "--merge" now detects identical files by their CRC.
* "--repair" now tries to detect gross damage in the file before
attempting to repair it.
* "--repair" now can repair a damaged dictionary size in the header.
* "--repair" now tries bytes at member offsets 7 to 11 first because
errors in these bytes sometimes can't be detected until the end of the
* Decompression time has been reduced by 2%.
* When decompressing or testing, up to 6 bytes of trailing data are
now printed if "-vvvv" is specified.
* The test of the value remaining in the range decoder has been
removed. (After extensive testing it has been found useless to detect
corruption in the decompressed data. Eliminating it reduces the number
of false positives for corruption and makes error detection more accurate).
* When decompressing, the file specified with the '--output' option
is now deleted if the input is a terminal.
* "--merge", "--range-decompress", "--repair" and "--split" now
preserve dates, permissions, and, when possible, ownership of the files
created just as "--decompress" does.
* Dictionary size and size of trailing data (if any) are now printed
when "-lv" is specified.
* The new option "-A, --alone-to-lz", which converts lzma-alone files
to lzip format without recompressing, just adding a lzip header and
trailer, has been added. Only streamed files with default LZMA
properties can be converted; non-streamed lzma-alone files lack the end
of stream marker required in lzip files.
* The new option "-W, --debug-decompress=<pos>,<val>", which sets the
byte <pos> to the value <val> and then decompresses to stdout the
resulting corrupt data, has been added.
* The new option "-X, --show-packets", which shows the LZMA packets
(coding sequences) coded in a given file, has been added.
* The short name of option "--debug-delay" has been changed to "-Y".
* The short name of option "--debug-repair" has been changed to "-Z".
* The new options "-B, --block", "-d, --delta", "-t, --truncate" and
"-z, --zcmp" have been added to unzcrash.
* Unzcrash now can read files as large as RAM allows.
* Unzcrash now compares the output of the decompressor for the
original and corrupt files when the decompressor returns with zero
status. For this unzcrash needs a zcmp program able to understand the
format being tested. For example the one provided by zutils.
* Unzcrash now accepts negative position (relative to the end of
file) and negative size (relative to the rest of the file).
* The new chapter "Trailing data" has been added to the manual.
* A harmless 'make check' failure on Windows, caused by the failed
comparison of a message in text mode, has been fixed.
Please send bug reports and suggestions to address@hidden
Antonio Diaz, lziprecover author and maintainer.
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [Lzip-bug] Lziprecover 1.18 released,
Antonio Diaz Diaz <=