lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx vs Links vs w3m

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Lynx vs Links vs w3m
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2022 23:15:30 +0000 (UTC)

Softwafe Engineer dixit:

>Why do you prefer lynx over another terminal browsers like w3m or links?

lynx is *much* easier to use than w3m and still a lot better to use
than any links flavour.

I personally *do* use links+ -g as manga viewer, but not much else.
It has a somewhat better table rendering for simple table-based
layouts but more issues with nōn-English language/character support
and by far doesn’t support as many things as lynx does. I prefer
a browser that runs in xterm and links+ without -g is totally broken
wrt. nōn-ASCII characters (and not as well usable and powerful as
lynx).

w3m has really great rendering of tables in HTML but that doesn’t
help people when they can’t use it (except mc uses it if you F3 an
HTML file, where it’s okay). I can’t say much about feature-wise
comparison with lynx because, well, it’s unusable (at least neither
intuïtively nor with what one can retain from the manpage).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
>> Why don't you use JavaScript? I also don't like enabling JavaScript in
> Because I use lynx as browser.
+1
        -- Octavio Alvarez, me and ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ (Mario Lang) on debian-devel