lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] bug in SSL certificate validation

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: [Lynx-dev] bug in SSL certificate validation
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2021 17:14:32 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

this affects both OpenSSL and Debian’s nonGNUtls builds:

lynx https://user:pass@host/

… will lead to…

SSL
error:host(user:pass@host)!=cert(CN<mainhost>:SAN<DNS=host>:SAN<DNS=otherhost>

… for OpenSSL lynx and…

SSL error:host(user:pass@host)!=cert(CN<mainhost>)-Continue? (n)

… for nonGNUtls lynx.

Obviously, user:pass@ need to be stripped before comparing. The
nonGNUtls version could also be changed to display the subjectAltName''s
the certificate has like the OpenSSL one does (after my patch from ages
ago; no, I’m not going to code for nonGNUtls).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Gestern Nacht ist mein IRC-Netzwerk explodiert. Ich hatte nicht damit
gerechnet, darum bin ich blutverschmiert… wer konnte ahnen, daß SIE so