lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Missing First Letter?

From: Tim Chase
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Missing First Letter?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2021 11:38:22 -0500

do you have a particular URL that demonstrates the problem?  This
sounds suspiciously like the traditional "drop cap" (which can be
done in CSS alone, maintaining the text uninterrrupted, but before it
became popular to do in CSS, folks would do by swapping out the first
real letter with a fancy image of that letter.)

I'm not sure about that carat-J aspect of things (it's a common way
to render control characters, and ^J is a newline, so it's not
uncommon.

I poked around at multiple Politico pages but didn't encounter any
issues.

It might also help to know which version of lynx you're using and in
what environment (at a console, in the Mac terminal, in Windows, in an
xterm/rxvt/urxvt/st/gnome-terminal/whatever on Linux or a BSD, etc)
which might also help track down any encoding issues.

-Tim