lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] help with ff.net.

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] help with ff.net.
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2020 05:34:04 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Karen,

> I  may have a door into cloudflare, although it is not them who are in attack
> mode, but ffn itself. I did write to the ffn support email address, please do
> the same  if you do not mind.  that address is
> support@fanfiction.com

Ah, okay, good to know. I think I will write to them as well.

> You get the same cloudflare error, not even getting a captcha to solve. Is
> that

No, I do NOT get the cloudflare error with Firefox, only with lynx,
links+ and w3m (another text browser).

> Now, depending on your setup, there is a fanfiction dowloader program that
> might work for you.

Interesting, but if I am going the download route I can also use Firefox.
I just really don’t like to read long texts in graphical programs. With
text programs, I can control the font, size, etc. myself, which makes it
easier to read, and am not as easily distracted by graphical effects or
advertisements.

> Because of the captcha used all over ffn, I tend to  save lynx bookmarks with
> author's m.fanfiction.net pages  and use lynx p option to save chapters.

I have never seen a captcha there before. I normally bookmark the last
chapter I have read, or the first for a story I haven’t yet read, but
in the normal format, that is,
https://www.fanfiction.net/s/storyid/chapternumber

> Rather a dance yes, but as you noted, many many writers only exist at ffn.
> Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

Indeed. You’re welcome!

> Cloudflare has a phone number...I am calling after the Holidays.

Good plan. Maybe this can make someone there aware that lynx users
are an actual thing.

Enjoy your holidays,
//mirabilos
--
> Wish I had pine to hand :-( I'll give lynx a try, thanks.

Michael Schmitz on nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.ports.68k
a.k.a. {news.gmane.org/nntp}#news.gmane.linux.debian.ports.68k in pine