lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Hotkey Binding to Command with Current URL?

From: Rob Muhlestein
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Hotkey Binding to Command with Current URL?
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2020 21:43:15 +0000

I do all browsing and research in Lynx (and have for years). The efficiencies
are orders of magnitude faster than with a graphic browser. (People always ask
on stream, "How are you doing that?")

However, there is one pain point in the process remaining. When a URL must be
viewed in graphic browser one is required to 'i' to show the information and
cut and paste the URL. Often the URL spans the length of the terminal requiring
two passes to get a solid URL.

Creating a bookmark and then opening the last bookmark from another shell
script that fires off graphic browser, or copying it to xclip is one
alternative but suffers from the same inefficiencies of the first problem in a
different form.

I'd like to propose the addition of a hotkey binding that would take something
like a printf formatted string with the different properties of the current
page, primarily the URL of the page and the URL of the currently selected link.
This way one could decide which program to run. Passing to the underlying shell
would be the most powerful, but an exec would also cover the need.

I'm comfortable attempting this addition myself but wanted to vet the proposal
with the community before attempting it.

Thanks in advance,

---
“Mr. Rob” Muhlestein
/^((Found|Teach|Hack)er|(Men|Jani)tor|C[A-Z]*O)$/
rob@rwx.gg • skilstak.io • rwxrob.live