lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] New response to lynx

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] New response to lynx
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 18:08:40 -0500 (EST)

>> Recently I got something similar and they said this was the reason the page$

>> Has anyone else seen this?

I have.  Not often, but I have.

> [...] I would have thought it unusual to be so honest about it.

Indeed.

> For most web sites, you are the product, and if you are not
> compatible with the sorts of adverts that their ad-servers serve, you
> are a defective product.

Indeed.  This bothers me only a little most places, because I don't
have much to do with the kind of websites where I'm (putatively) part
of the product.  Where it really annoys me is things like governmental
pages or other non-ad-supported stuff.

> The other reason for a conscious decision to block Lynx was its
> ability to be used in bulk downloading.

Presumably under the impression that there are people capable of
realizing lynx can do that but not of realizing that it can be told to
change its User-Agent string.  And, somehow, that aren't capable of
just saving the page source from something like Firefox or Chromium.

Bizarre.  I do not understand what passes for thinking behind "most web
sites".

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                mouse@rodents-montreal.org