lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] torsocks socks5 and lynx

From: Fadi Barbàra
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] torsocks socks5 and lynx
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2020 12:01:50 +0100

Hello,
first of all thank you Steffen for this patch.

> With the above i can go duckduckgo as well as the IP address
> directly, and everything is fine.  This includes the redirection
> of duckduckgo to /lite.  I never used TOR myself.
> You should usually see some "SOCKS5" messages while you are
> connecting -- what do these say?
> If you use strace(1), what is going on?  Where is the difference?

I saw the dump of ktrace using both torsocks and the socks5 option (as I
understand it, the ktrace+kdump is the openBSD equivalent of strace).
The difference I see from the dumps is just that lynx with the socks5
works, while using the torsocks script it does not: I do not see
anything that I think can be useful. When I use lynx with the socks5
flag the only SOCKS5 message I see is "SOCKS5: connecting to
duckduckgo.com"

Usually it's fast to connect (just 2-3 seconds), but sometimes it waits
forever and I cannot connect to the site. I think it is related to my
home network or the wifi dongle itself, but to be sure of that, I would
like to compare the socks flag with "normal lynx"+torsocks.
Unfortunately torsocks does not work with lynx on my machine, which is
strange giving that torsocks works with other programs such as curl and
wget.