lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] problems using google

From: Mouse
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] problems using google
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 15:02:03 -0500 (EST)

> but i thought this was the list of the devs....

It is, but this may not be fixable on the client side.

> I never found anny company willing to change their site back for a
> small user-base like lynx users, i guess google will not be
> different.

That would be my guess too: we are not a large enough fraction of their
product to be worth putting resources into, especially since we are of
unusually low value to their customers (many ads won't work at all in
lynx, others work only poorly).

> As a blind user using ubuntu console for my daily computer/internet
> usage, losing google is a quite big thing.

Yes.  It's a pain for me too.  But, well, you get what you pay for.

> So.... instead of hopign for google to fix it, what can the lynx devs
> do to make lynx work with google again?

Probably not much.  But I haven't looked at what Google has done to
break their search results in any detail yet, so I could be wrong.  (I
certainly hope I am, because, as I say, the current state is a pain for
me too - while it would also be a pain to try to version-jump lynx, it
would be one-time pain, not ongoing pain.)

> When will lynx start to intergrate proper java and html5 usage,

Probably never.  Most of that stuff is built around the assumption of a
GUI.

Also, speaking purely personally, if lynx were to integrate such
things, I would want a way to turn them off, and, if it didn't exist, I
would freeze at the last version before them.  I don't _want_ JS and
HTML5 and the like; I want my agent to do what I want it to, not what
some webpage designer wants it to.

\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML                address@hidden