lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Cannot open: https://m.medicalxpress.com/page2.html

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Cannot open: https://m.medicalxpress.com/page2.html
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 11:04:44 +0100

> In various versions of Lynx, I cannot open the following address:
> 'https://m.medicalxpress.com/page2.html'

As others have said, Lynx can open this page fine.  However, I think
the problem is the following:

If you browse https://m.medicalxpress.com/ in Lynx and find the
"load more" link, when you select this, Lynx tries to load the URL
https://m.medicalxpress.com/./page2.html
and the server says that this is not found.  The server does not
expect the dot to be present in the URL.

The link is written (some syntax elided):

Most other browsers, including links, don't copy this dot into the URL
when following the link, so they don't experience a problem.

Is Lynx correct to copy the dot?  I think not.  According to RFC 1808
in Section 4 where it describes an algorithm for resolving relative URLs,
in Step 6:

   a) All occurrences of "./", where "." is a complete path
      segment, are removed.

This carries through into RFC 3986 where section 5.2.4 describes a
"Remove Dot Segments" algorithm.

imc