lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] clearing the cache?

From: davidson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] clearing the cache?
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2017 00:57:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017, Karen Lewellen wrote:

If I did not spell that
[clearing the cache]
correctly I am sorry.
Still, is there a keystroke  that provides this function in Lynx?

I see further, down this thread, that simply reloading the page worked
for the OP satisfactorily.

Just for the record though, yes, there is a keystroke for activating a
link and requesting to bypass any cache:

 x NOCACHE force submission of form or link with no-cache

My understanding is that this constitutes a request for a fresh copy
of the linked resource, and not some copy that an intervening network
node may have cached (ie, previously saved away to serve up more
quickly, and without troubling servers further upstream).

I wouldn't call that "clearing the cache", though. Random network
nodes aren't going to take orders from the likes of me and you. They
might respect our request for a fresh, non-cached document, but
they'll keep on clearing their caches (or not) on their own schedule,
not ours.

But to clear lynx's local cache, do

 ^X CACHE_JAR examine list of cached documents

You'll get a page with a numbered list of cached documents, with two
links apiece, the first headed "Title" and the second headed
"URL". Activating the links headed "Title" removes the corresponding
documents from the cache.