lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Versions of Lynx and How They Got Here

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Versions of Lynx and How They Got Here
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2017 17:08:40 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Martin,

>works quite well on a Debian wheezy system but bombs out on a
>Debian jessie system with the complaint that it can't find the
>start file.

This looks like an SSL error, but I can visit that page with
MirBSD (old OpenSSL, older lynx), Debian wheezy, jessie and sid
(GnuTLS, various ages of lynx).

My guesses are:

• CA certificates not set up? (Did you install ca-certificates?
  Does /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt exist and ship the
  relevant root certificate?)

• SSL client configuration somehow broken (no idea how, though)

• You’re firewalled so no connection to the server opens

What happens if you run (install netcat-openbsd and openssl first):

$ nc -v braille.wunderground.com 443

$ openssl s_client -CApath /etc/ssl/certs -connect braille.wunderground.com:443

bye,
//mirabilos
--
(gnutls can also be used, but if you are compiling lynx for your own use,
there is no reason to consider using that package)