lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] -xhtml-parsing vs -xhtml_parsing

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] -xhtml-parsing vs -xhtml_parsing
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:25:03 -0400

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 11:11:06PM +0100, Larry Hynes wrote:
> Hi
>
> (Lynx 2.8.9dev.11)
>
> As per `man lynx`, -xhtml_parsing should work:
>
>       -xhtml_parsing
>                 tells Lynx that it can ignore certain tags which
>                 have no content in an XHTML 1.0 document.  For
>                 example "<p/>" will be discarded.
>
> $ lynx -xhtml_parsing http://lynx.invisible-island.net/current/
> lynx: Invalid Option: -xhtml_parsing
> USAGE: lynx [options] [file]
> Options are:
> -xhtml-parsing    enable XHTML 1.0 parsing (off)
>
> I imagine that it would be 'better' to get -xhtml_parsing working
> correctly, rather than simply amend man page to include -xhtml-parsing,
> as all(?) other options seem to be -foo_bar, not -baz-qux. That
> said, however, -xhtml-parsing seems to date from 2008-09-21
> (2.8.7dev.10) (in CHANGES), so perhaps the intention is to use
> hyphen, not underscore?

iirc, lynx accepts either "-" or "_" in options...

man lynx

       Lynx uses only long option names.  Option names can begin  with  double
       dash  as well, underscores and dashes can be intermixed in option names
       (in the reference below options are with one dash before them and  with
       underscores).

though perhaps that relies on the table having "_", and just
treating "-" as an alternative (something to check)

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net