lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Form field names [submit a form with no 'input' element /

From: Wes
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Form field names [submit a form with no 'input' element / submit button]
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2015 11:32:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 6 Nov 2015, Wes wrote:

A number of keys are bound to 'ACTIVATE', which work as advertised after ^V (though one of those bound keys, Right Arrow, only exhibits its familiar line-editing behavior in text fields, regardless of ^V).

What I claimed above, about 'ACTIVATE' and the keys bound to it, is not true. I was badly mistaken. (And it serves me right, for misusing the phrase "work[s] as advertised" to mean "does what I want it to do at the moment".)

Below, please understand "in the context in question" to mean "in a text-field, after hitting ^V".

Contrary to what I said previously:

First of all, in the context in question, Right Arrow does not "exhibit its familiar line-editing behavior". Not here, at least. Instead, it merely moves the cursor to the end of the entered text.

Secondly, although the current key map here indicates that six(!) keys are bound to ACTIVATE, it appears that not all of them submit the form in the context in question. Those keys so bound, which do not submit the form, merely move the cursor to the end of the entered text.

Thirdly, in the context in question, even entering ':ACTIVATE' itself does not submit the form. Instead, it merely moves the cursor to the end of the entered text.

Consistent with what I said previously:

However, in the context in question, both <return> and ^J (bound here to 'ACTIVATE') *do* submit the form.

For the record:

 $ lynx -version
 Lynx Version 2.8.8dev.12 (22 Feb 2012)
 libwww-FM 2.14, SSL-MM 1.4.1, GNUTLS 2.12.18, ncurses 5.9.20110404(wide)
 Built on linux-gnu Mar 25 2012 11:14:04

Sorry for the confusion.

-wes