lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] new user, computer novice, installation problems

From: Daniel Bridges
Subject: [Lynx-dev] new user, computer novice, installation problems
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2015 09:39:50 +0900

Hello,

I am wanting a faster, safer, peaceful, less-bandwidth web browsing experience,
which are my reasons for trying lynx. Would you mind helping me install it? It
is a little over my head (it appears I must learn how to use the Mac Terminal
to install this software, and perhaps also to use it), but I think I can learn,
if someone teaches me. I do have some limited computer experience, e.g. trying
Mandrake/Mandriva/Ubuntu linux distributions (not without some installation
problems), coding in MATLAB ...

What I’ve tried so far to install:
1. I navigated to the folder containing the lynx download, lynx2-8-8 via a
series of “cd” and “ls” commands in Terminal.
2. "./configure” appeared successful.
3. “make” appeared successful.
4. I appended the path temporarily to the terminal session via “PATH=“ and “:”
as demonstrated at http://coolestguidesontheplanet.com/add-shell-path-osx/
5. From the same folder, I tried installing in a different location:
"./configure --prefix=/Users/[name]/Applications/lynx
--exec-prefix=/Users/[name]/Applications/lynx”. To my surprise, this appeared
successful, yet that folder appears empty with no files, hidden or not! It
ended with the final lines:
—
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating makefile
config.status: creating WWW/Library/Implementation/makefile
config.status: creating src/makefile
config.status: creating src/chrtrans/makefile
config.status: creating lynx_cfg.h
---

But I don’t understand how to edit the lynx.cfg file or proceed any further. I
have encountered this error message:
~~~
$ lynx -cfg=/[folders]/lynx2-8-8/lynx.cfg

Lynx file "/usr/local/etc/lynx.lss" is not available.
~~~
A. Was lynx -cfg=… the correct next step towards installation?
B. What does it mean for this file to be not available? What is the problem and
how do I solve it?
C. Am I correct that, after this command, the next steps toward proper
installation (in my case) would be:
i. make install
ii. make install-help
iii. lynx

The last step iii being to start using the software. So, to recap, I thought
the steps to a proper installation were: "./configure", “make", add directory
to path so that ‘lynx’ becomes a recognized command, "lynx -cfg", "make
install", "make install-help" (since I need help files), and then finally
“lynx".

I look forward to hearing from you, and thanks for your help and for this
opportunity.