lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] [bug] hard limit, despite -width

From: Klaus-Peter Wegge
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] [bug] hard limit, despite -width
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 12:48:53 +0200 (CEST)

Q: are the fixed-size buffers also the reason why lynx cannot deal with
very long URLs (e.g. used in icloud)? The limit seems to be 512
characters, but I'm not sure.
I'm approaching more and more web sites with very long URLs which are
not usable with lynx. The problem appears for example with lynx2.8.8
dev12 on debian, but also with other older linux compiled versions.
Moreover there is a tendency that people send mail in html format where
the complete file is one very long line only.
So I cannot longer use lynx as reader for html-based mails.

For these reasons it would be very helpful to get rid off the fix
buffer sizes or - as a work arround - to extend the buffersizes.

Kind regards

Klaus

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 04:51:26PM +0100, Denis Briand wrote:
On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 09:23:58PM +0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> Denis Briand dixit:
> > >Lynx doesn't print long lines intact, despite -width > > Yes, 1000 is a hard limit.

Thank you Thorsten for your quick answer.
Do I understand its a "won't fix" bug?

I would say exactly that, but rather that it's not been high-priority.
Originally, lynx used fixed-size buffers throughout.  I've reduced that
by half, perhaps.

You might want to change this to wishlist.

--
Thomas E. Dickey <address@hidden>
http://invisible-island.net