lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Trying out Lynx; pages difficult to read

From: fa-ml
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Trying out Lynx; pages difficult to read
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 18:20:06 +0100

On Sat, Feb 01, 2014 at 08:59:18AM -0700, Alpheus Madsen wrote:
> I was trying Lynx today to see if it could be a practical alternative to
> Firefox.  I tried going to "www.google.com"...but I found the page
> difficult to navigate, and the page difficult to read.

It's a bit messy indeed. Have you tried duckduckgo.com ? It is friendlier
with Lynx/text based browsers.
If you  were find a workaround for even messier sites (e.g. online newspapers),
let us know!

> My second issue--navigability--is probably a greater challenge.  Tabbing
> from link to link is rather painful, especially even when even a page as
> simple as Google's now has a lot of links!

Try checking setting keypad_mode to:

    keypad_mode=LINKS_AND_FIELDS_ARE_NUMBERED

in lynxrc. It allows you to select links by number (i.e. 132<enter> to follow
the hyper-link or 123g<enter> to just move the cursor on it without following).
This helped my browsing experience with Lynx a lot; I liked it so much I
downloaded a Firefox extension to have a similar feature in my graphical
www-browser.

-F