lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] @longdesc support in Lynx

From: Ian Collier
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] @longdesc support in Lynx
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:02:01 +0100

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 08:32:22PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> longdesc = uri [CT]
> This attribute specifies a link to a long description of the image.
> This description should supplement the short description provided
> using the alt attribute. When the image has an associated image map,
> this attribute should provide information about the image map's
> contents. This is particularly important for server-side image maps.
> Since an IMG element may be within the content of an A element, the
> user agent's mechanism in the user interface for accessing the
> "longdesc" resource of the former must be different than the
> mechanism for accessing the href resource of the latter
>
> So - it's a link, to someplace, and the guideline says it's not to
> be followed as if it were an href.  So that leaves inline display,
> or some special keystroke.

I would argue that if <select> is the mechanism for accessing the
href resource then <move><select> counts as a different mechanism
within the above guideline for accessing the longdesc resource - if,
for example, Lynx displayed the image as "ALT TEXT-[description]"
(or, if image links are on, "ALT TEXT-[image.png]-[description]").

imc