lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] can't access gmail with 2.8.8dev1

From: Stefan Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] can't access gmail with 2.8.8dev1
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 13:06:24 -0500

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:21 PM, sindi keesan <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Dec 2009, Stefan Caunter wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 9:54 PM, sindi keesan <address@hidden>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> 2.8.7 works at sdf.lonestar.org but not the copy I compiled on my
>>> computer.  I had .google.com in the cookie reject list.  Dumb mistake.
>
> The mistake was due to my having three versions of lynx on the computer, all
> using lynx.cfg in different locations (compiled by different people). I had
> to edit several config files to get all the lynxes to work.

You can use full path to lynx to be sure which one you are using.

-version will confirm.

>>> Where can I look for help getting lynx to accept persistent cookies?  I
>>> don't find a forum.  I tried to follow all the directions I could find.
>>> Sorry to waste your time.  Sindi
>>
>> http://lynx.isc.org/current/lynx2-8-8/docs/README.cookies
>
> It is installed in /usr/local/share/lynx_doc/docs already.
>
> I have read the instructions and set persistent cookies to TRUE
> (in lynx.cfg, .lynxrc and command line) but they are not saved.
>
>> If you type 'O' you will get the options menu.
>
> I am not a complete newbie though I did make a dumb mistake, but thanks.
>
> I cannot get persistent cookies to work even at sdf.lonestar.org, where I
> think things were compiled properly (assuming they compiled without
> disabling persistent cookies).
>
> /usr/local/etc/lynx.cfg  lynx 2.8.8d1 or 2.8.7r1
>
> SET_COOKIES:TRUE
> PERSISTENT_COOKIES:TRUE COOKIE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies  (I made the file using
> touch)
> COOKIE_SAVE_FILE:~/.lynx_cookies  (/root/.lynx_cookies)
> -rw-r--r-- permissions on this file (I am root).

Make sure you have all this set in lynx.cfg.

SET_COOKIES:TRUE
ACCEPT_ALL_COOKIES:TRUE
PERSISTENT_COOKIES:TRUE
COOKIE_FILE:/path/to/directory/.lynx_cookies
COOKIE_SAVE_FILE:/path/to/directory/.lynx_cookies
COOKIE_LOOSE_INVALID_DOMAINS:
FORCE_SSL_COOKIES_SECURE:FALSE

> Should I put the cookie file some place else, make it writeable by all,...?
>
> It accepts cookies in the accept list now but won't save them.

The best way to see what is happening is to run lynx -trace and read
the Lynx.trace file. Very early in the start up the cookies load in.
You can post the trace and we can look.

Stefan

---
Stefan Caunter