lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] (OT) Q: best way to hide ECMAscript-only things

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] (OT) Q: best way to hide ECMAscript-only things
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:44:51 +0000 (UTC)

Chuck Houpt dixit:

> Enhancing existing elements via Javascript is a common way to achieve
> "graceful degradation" of a DHTML/AJAX web site. More info at:

Thanks, very interesting, but doesn't match the situation at hand.
The question is, how to "hide" the page elements that don't work in
a non-JS browser, assuming there are other elements that either do
or - considering your example - are only JS-enriched and gracefully
degrade already.

> For the MirOS Logo, simply using an empty alt attribute (alt="")
> would hide it

Yes, but that's invalid XHTML, plus I think Lynx would show it
anyway, or at least, the paragraph/div would take up vertical
space. I kind of like my solution there, I just think it isn't
applicable to all of the potential cases the question applies
to.

bye,
//mirabilos
--
Yay for having to rewrite other people's Bash scripts because bash
suddenly stopped supporting the bash extensions they make use of