lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] Re: Lynx: missing SSL certificate

From: Stefan Caunter
Subject: [Lynx-dev] Re: Lynx: missing SSL certificate
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 14:08:55 -0400

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Paolo Piace <address@hidden> wrote:

> Stefan, hello.
>
> It's by fortunate chance that I stepped into your "Lynx SSL support for
> certificates".
>
> These SSL things are totally new to me. I'm working on this only because I am
> not able to login to Etrade with Lynx and I've evidence that Lynx cannot find
> the proper certificate for Etrade:
>
> With the SSL_CERT_FILE in lynx.cfg set as /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt,
> lynx on www.etrade.com responds:
>
> "SSL error:issuer is not a CA-Continue?"
>
> Leaving the SSL_CERT_FILE commented (as default), lynx on www.etrade.com
> responds:
>
> "SSL error:no issuer was found-Continue?"
>
> So, I downloaded and unbundled your ssl.certs.shar in the /etc/ssl/certs/
> where ALL OTHER certificates are.
>
> Then, just for trying, I concatenated all the extracted certificates into a
> file named ca-certificates.crt_caunterdotcom, placed it into /etc/ssl/certs/
> and set the SSL_CERT_FILE as /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt_caunterdotcom.
>
> Response from lynx: "SSL error:no issuer was found-Continue?"
>
> At this point I'm clueless what to try next...
>
> Important note: my system is Ubuntu based and does NOT have the
> /usr/local/ssl/ directory. Problem is that libcrypto.so (there is no
> libcrypto.a in the system) shows that SSL_CERT_DIR is /usr/local/ssl/certs,
> which does NOT exist! How is that libcrypto.so points to a directory that
> does not exist?

Yes, that's OpenSSL - you need to put the certs in that directory and
make sure they are hashed. The .shar file has done this for you. Make
sure that the SSL_CERT_FILE and SSL_CERT_DIR variables are exported to
your shell.

I am able to connect with no ssl error to https://www.etrade.com with
lynx2.8.7dev.13